International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Training Questions Answered Part 1

photo of climbing rainierI often get questions about training for climbing. Unfortunately, these questions often come during a trip when it is too late. Hopefully, I can address some common questions about training for Rainier or other mountaineering trips or training for rock climbing or ice climbing. I will try to keep it simple and general. Please comment with any questions you might have so I can address them.

I'll start with some general training ideas that can help you create a program that is right for you.

Fun: Most importantly you must enjoy your training. Too many people think they have to endure suffering and boredom to get fit. The best workout, however, is the one you genuinely enjoy. If you resent your work out routine getting fit will be that much harder.

Variety: If you do that same workout all the time you will over develop some muscles and underdeveloped others this leads to injuries like tendonitis and shin splints. Also, lifting machines tend to focus on major muscle groups that make you look good when they are big while neglecting all the small stabilizer muscles that support your major muscles like your back and ankles when you are carrying a pack. If these stabilizer muscles are weak you exaust the major muscles much faster as they try to compensate.

Personality: I don't like to keep track too closely to weights, reps, times, or milage. I get a vague sense of how much I am doing or how far I am going. I run, lift and do pushups until I feel worked and then maybe do a little more. on the other hand I have a friend who makes excel spreadsheets of every weeks work out. if you are like me, team up with someone like that. the information is useful. if you are on your own make sure you have a good enough sense that you can track progress but don't stress over it. Like I said before, enjoy your work out!

No comments:

Post a Comment