International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Training Questions Answered Part II


Sometimes rest days are forced. I am sitting in a cafe near Las Vegas waiting for tomorrows forecasted 65 and sunny to go back to the incredible climbing in Red Rock Canyon, NV.

So you think you have a workout routine you can live with. Its got variety, its pretty fun and it suits your personality. Thats great!

Now, we need to make sure you are really making the most of your time. Are you at a high enough heart rate for long enough? Are you pushing yourself to lift a little more than is comfortable? Most importantly, are you doing the exercises properly so you don't hurt yourself and so you receive maximum benefit?

This stuff is REALLY important. Too often people wonder why they are having such a hard time climbing after all their training. Often though they spent many hours in the gym much of that time was wasted with inefficient or not-strenuous-enough exercise.

The best thing to do is to talk to a trainer. Tell them your goals, climbing or otherwise and try to find a workout routine that fits the criteria discussed in my last post and have your trainer show you how to do the exercises properly.

This may sound expensive but consider it the up front cost to avoid the time and money that you will waste in poor shape for you climbing trip or in physical therapy for your injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment