International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Texture


But the mountains are filled with incredible minutiae as well. The textures of the rocks and ice, the detail with which a flower or a lizard is decorated are equally incredible.

In climbing terms the minute textures of the rock and the ice tell us where to put our feet for the best friction and where to swing an ice tools for that one-swing-stick. It is interesting, teaching people to climb, how much of this texture they tend to gloss over, to not even see though it is right before their eyes.

I think this is one of those times when climbing holds a life lesson. Our goals and ambitions, our vast landscapes are important, but equally important are those tiny details, the speckles on the newly blooming Indian paintbrush. These details are beauty and inspiration unto themselves as well as important footholds on the way to realizing those more lofty ambitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment