International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

ROCK!


Time to switch from ice to rock! I took a trip out to Indian Creek near Moab, UT and it was terrific. If it were not for the snow on the opposite (shady) side of the canyon i would have thought it was May. Climbing and belying in t-shirts was a nice change from the ice season.

Rock climbing in Indian creek is incredibly wild and unique. Endless rows of parallel sided cracks split the massive Wingate sandstone buttresses as far as the eye can see. It always takes me a climb or two to remember how great the friction on sandstone is. Trust your feet! The cracks are so good "splitter" is synonymous for great in any context as in 'splitter weather', 'splitter conditions', 'splitter dinner'. Ok maybe not the last one. check out the photos and I think you'll get it.




Back on crack,
Eitan

No comments:

Post a Comment