International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Great Place to Learn

Ouray's ice climbing is not only terrific it is a great classroom. Not only does this climbing college boast climbs of all difficulties, these climbs are as short as fifty feet and also some of the longest in the lower 48.
"But..." you say, "every ice climbing destination brags about that!" What those other destinations dont have is a finely tuned thermostat. The temperatures get cold at night which makes the ice grow but here the days are mild and sometimes even warm allowing climbers of all abilities to focus on climbing and worry less about battling the cold!
These photos are from some of Ouray's top classrooms for getting out and up on ice.


School is in session,
Eitan

Photos top to bottom: Stairway to Heaven WI 4 8 Pitches, Whorehouse Hoses WI4 4 pitches, Frozen nozzle at the Ouray Ice Park, First Gulley WI3 4 pitches

No comments:

Post a Comment