International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Out of the Ouray Ice Park


If you have been following the Ouray Ice Park conditions you might be a bit depressed. What many people coming from afar don't realize is that there is plenty of ice outside the park and it is great! Yesterday fellow San Juan guide Mark M. and I took out the Schmidts for some single and multi pitch climbing. They came with a spectrum of experience Mark took the younger ones with less experience and started with the basics. I took the older boys who had climbed in Alaska and Canada and worked on steep ice technique and some mixed climbing. Mom and Dad watched, took photos and cheered until it was time for Mom to show the boys how mixed climbing is done. It was a fun family day of ice climbing in Ouray. At the end of the day everyone was smiling and exhausted, the ultimate compliment to a guide. Thanks for a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment