International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Camp Bird Road Skylight

Ouray is famous for its ice park. Many people don't realize the abundance of natural ice climbing in the area as well. A couple miles up camp bird road from the ice park is the skylight area, home to numerous ice, mixed, and drytool routes. the routes range from WI3 to M10, which is to say from gentle ice rambles to steep rock climbs done with ice gear. One of the most classic of these routes is Skylight.

I think the photo helps explain the name as I make my way up the icy chimney tow
ards the skylight at the top. The ice you climb deep in the chimney is very featured. You often hook chandeliers and stem your feet to other worldly blobs. This climb is a great multi-pitch adventure of unique climbing.

1 comment: