International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Climbing Rainier? Try this...

There are a million things to tell someone setting out to climb Mount Rainier. Often the basics of what to bring, how to dress, not to mention the physical challenge over whelm people. Details that make climbing Mount Rainier or any mountaineering more enjoyable are often learned through experience. Below are a few suggestions, details to make your trip more fun.

Food: Bring food you like. Anything over a night or two of freeze-dried food will be unpleasant. Indian meals in foil pouches are easily heatable and taste decent (tastybites brand or Trader Joes version) if you are a big eater mix this with cous cous. Macaroni and cheese is often a good idea. Consider bringing perishable food to eat the first night or two.

Coffee: If, like me you are a committed coffee drinker don’t settle for instant. A French press mug can work well. Starbucks Via instant coffee is actually decent but quite spendy. The best option I have tried is the MSR reusable coffee filter. It is light simple and easy to clean.

Snacks: Bring snacks you like. A few energy gels can be helpful but bring candy and salty snacks you will enjoy eating. Some candies are better than others. For example, Swedish Fish are hard to eat when they are cold, gummy bears are much easier. Often chocolate melts, M&Ms will be less messy when it is hot out. Salt is as important as sugar since sodium keeps you hydrated. If you don’t like to drink water, try some drink mix to keep you hydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment