International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mount Rainier: Everyone to the Summit!


Early yesterday morning our team of 6 guests and 4 guides crested the summit Crater on Mount Rainier. After a break for food and water we made our way to Columbia Crest, the highest point in Washington to watch the sunrise. The climbers, some of whom previously had no idea what they were getting into, were all exhausted smiles on the summit.

It was an exciting climb. The Disappointment Cleaver route goes way out to the Emmons shoulder this time of year. There is always a tricky crevasse and ladder crossing there which, if we don't get any snow in the next few weeks will become a problem. There is another ladder over the bergschrund (the highest crevasse on a glacier) which leads to gentler terrain above.

Even though we have had so much snow (and so little melting) this year September glacier travel is still a full on crevasse filled experience. As our climbers will tell you it is no problem if you stay on the trail but less then a foot from the trail and there are some giant, people eating holes hundreds of feet deep. Nice job on your summit guys I can't wait to climb together again!

No comments:

Post a Comment