International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Early Ice!!!!

It seems like just yesterday I was rock climbing...Well I suppose it was a few days ago. Anyway, the important thing is that IT IS ON!!! Hannah and I celebrated the Coming ice climbing season by enjoying a pleasant romp up a frozen stream bed near Silverton. The route, the Direct North Face was my first climb last season too. It is a great early season choice because it gets literally no sun. Brrrrr. This made the transition from rock climbing in the sun a bit jarring. Last season I did the climb much later in the month. This time the ice was thinner and steeper which made for an exciting start to the season.

Hannah led her second pitch of ice ever. Congrats Hannah! To put this in perspective, this summer, Hannah and I climbed Rainier's Liberty Ridge and Baker's North Ridge, both alpine ice climbs, ropeless. Soon after our ascent of liberty she soloed Rainier's Ptarmigan Ridge one of the hardest routes on Rainier. That is to say Hannah is no stranger to bold climbing, it is just a change of pace for her to actually have to stop and place some gear. Way to go Hannah!

No comments:

Post a Comment