International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

100%

As a guide on Mount Rainier there are few things more satisfying than getting 8 out of 8 climbers to the summit. You guys were awesome! Yesterday all twelve of us, climbers and guides, caught a beautiful sunrise form the crater of Mount Rainier before we crossed the crater towards Columbia Crest, the highest point on the mountain.

The weather was so nice we all hung around shaking hands, taking photos, and congratulating one another on a successful summit. Many of us wondered if softshell pants were over rated.

With its distinct crater and volcanic steam vents, the summit of Mount Rainier is an incredible place. Like many summits we want to savor the moment as long as we can, to take in every detail of that strange and inspiring landscape. no matter how hard we try and how many pictures we take that moment on the summit feels too brief.

It was a pleasure climbing with you and I hope we can summit many mountains together in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment