International Man of Mystery...

My photo
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there until my junior year in high school when I attended the Mountain School, a semester program run by Milton Academy in Vershire, VT. I then attended Colby College in Waterville, ME. During my time at Colby I studied anthropology, spent a semester in Northeast India, and became fluent in Nepali. Before I became a guide I earned my black belt in kenpo karate and taught karate for 6 years. I began guiding in college on the rocky coast of ME with Acadia Mountain Guides and on ice at the International Mountain Climbing School in NH. After graduating I took to the highway and drove from ME to WA for the big mountains and glaciers. I spend my winters in lovely Ouray, CO guiding in the famous ice park. I am currently working towards becoming a certified guide through the American Mountain Guides Association. I live, work and play in the hills and on the rocks. On the rocks both literally and, well, with ice.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mount Baker's North Ridge

I’m not sure if ice climbing and skiing in August is cool or a little desperate. In most years it wouldn’t be possible in most places. However, due to crazy amount of spring snow we got in “Juneuary” many glaciated climbs and skis have stayed in good shape much later than usual.

The North Ridge of Mount Baker is an incredible route. It is a classic American alpine climb. So much so that it is the site of the AMGA’s alpine guide exam. With steep snow and ice, broken glacier crossings, and many possible ski descents, it has all the ingredients for a great adventure.

My usual partner in alpine adventures and badass skier Hannah and I simul-soloed the North Ridge and skied the popular Colman-Deming Glacier route back down to the heliotrope ridge. The Deming headwall was terrific corn that bought us down to slightly softer snow. For August, the skiing could not be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment